UNEP-WCMC does not assert any intellectual property rights in the data made available to it by data providers.
Access to UNEP-WCMC datasets is provided on the understanding that you read and consent to be bound by the Terms and Conditions set out in the policies below.
I am a postdoctoral scientist working jointly at the United Nations Environment Programme-World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC) and the Computational Ecology and Environmental Science group at Microsoft Research, both based in Cambridge, UK. My research interests span biogeochemical cycles and atmospheric chemistry, through human harvesting from natural systems and farming to climate policy and market instruments.
My current focus is principally the development of a global ecosystem model, which represents all trophic levels, is scientifically robust and process based in nature, and provides policy -relevant, predictive outputs. In particular my interest in this model is the cycling of nutrients through ecosystems and the natural limitations and patterns that emerge from fundamental ecological processes. In addition, I am working to understand and constrain exogenous human drivers of the global ecosystem that will feed into the model. These include human land conversion and a global estimate of the magnitude of harvesting from natural systems, for example as bushmeat.
1. Beerling D. J., M. Harfoot, R. A. Berner, F. T. Mackenzie, M. B. Harfoot, and J. A. Pyle (2009), Methane and the CH4-related greenhouse effect over the past 400 million years, American Journal of Science, 309, doi:10.2475/02.2009.01.
2. Harfoot, M. B, J. A. Pyle, and D. J. Beerling (2008), End-Permian ozone shield unaffected by oceanic hydrogen sulphide and methane releases, Nature Geosciences, doi:10.1038/ngeo154.
3. Lomax, B. H., W. T. Fraser, M. A. Shepton, T. V. Callaghan, S. Self, M. Harfoot, J. A. Pyle, C. H. Wellman, and D. J. Beerling (2008), Plant spore walls as a record of long-term changes in ultraviolet-B radiation, Nature Geosciences, doi:10.1038/ngeo278.
4. Harfoot, M. B. J., D. J. Beerling, B. H. Lomax, and J. A. Pyle (2007), A two-dimensional atmospheric chemistry modelling investigation of Earth’s Phanerozoic O3 and near-surface ultraviolet radiation history, Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, doi:10.1029/2006JD007372.
5. Beerling D. J., M. Harfoot, B. Lomax, and J. A. Pyle, The Stability of the stratospheric ozone layer during the end-Permian eruption of the Siberian Traps (2007), Philosophical Transaction of the Royal Society A, 365, 1843 – 1866, doi:10.1098/rsta.2007.2046.
Other articles and papers
6. P. Wooders, G. Cook, P. Zakkour, M. Harfoot, S. Stiebert (2009), The role of sectoral approaches: focus and the steel sector in China and India (Climate Strategies Report).
7. J. Bates, M. Harfoot, J. Webb (2009), Sectoral Emissions Reduction Potentials and Economic Costs for Climate Change: Agriculture, methane and nitrous oxide emissions (on behalf of European Commission- DG Research).
8. M. Harfoot, M. Johnson, K. Fletcher, A Gardiner and T. Angelini, (2009), Future Carbon Reduction Commitment caps, Environment Agency Science Report.
9. Johnson, M. J., I. Skinner, and M. B. J. Harfoot (2008), Study on future elements of the EU emission trading scheme, European Parliament briefing note.
10. M. Johnson, M. Harfoot, C. Musser, T. Wiley (2008), Cap and Share: Policy options for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Interim Final Report, Comhar Sustainable Development Commission
©2017 UNEP All rights reserved